List:       tmda-users
Subject:    Re: reflections
From:       Justin Karneges <justin-qt () affinix ! com>
Date:       2002-11-23 12:28:34

Hi Niklas,

> First of all, I really need to write a nice please-confirm-me message. I
> have four personal emails that were stuck in the pending queue because my
> friends didn't know what was going on and didn't feel like reading the
> mail. Perhaps their english isn't good, I don't know. But that is about
> 10% of my personal mail, which means that I still have to go through the
> pending queue and still get to delete all my spams manually. How are your
> experiences? Do people feel deterred getting such a mail back? Should the
> default mail be different?

So far I have not met anyone who did not confirm because they were bothered by
it.  I normally scan my pending queue every other week to find stray legit
mails, and when I do I reply to them asking why they did not confirm.  In all
cases, they didn't know about any sort of confirmation request!

I came up with two possible reasons for this problem (with solutions)

1) Senders that use Reply-To but do not check the mail that goes to their
actual envelope-sender address will not get your confirm requests.  I
modified TMDA to change this (though this goes against the recommended
handling of bounce mails).

2) The confirm requests looks like spam, and so users inadvertantly delete
them.  To resolve this, I changed the subject from "Please confirm your
message" (or whatever the default is), to "Please confirm: <subject>".  This
way they will immediately recognize the subject they had sent.  I was tempted
to make it "Re: <subject>", but I thought that would be too misleading :)

> The perhaps most surprising thing is that I've had spam coming through.
> Not much, perhaps 1 out of 50. And the weird thing is, they haven't
> confirmed as everyone that confirms end up in the whitelist.

Did you whitelist yourself or your domain?  Sometimes spammers send to you or
foobar@yourdomain, which can sometimes get by your whitelist.

-Justin