List:       tmda-users
Subject:    Re: Sending confirmation request to Reply-To address
From:       Justin Karneges <justin-qt () affinix ! com>
Date:       2002-11-15 10:11:08

On Friday 15 November 2002 01:33 am, Jason R. Mastaler wrote:
> Right. For more information on why auto-responding to Reply-To is not
> a good idea, and why TMDA is standards complaint with its current
> behavior, see
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moore-auto-email-response-00.txt
>
> in particular, section 4.

Thanks for your response, Jason.  I can appreciate this stance, and I
understand why TMDA works the way it does.

Unfortunately in my case, I get numerous emails from users who are using
Reply-To and stupidly not reading (or receiving) email at the envelope-sender
address.  I don't want to have to sift through my pending folder to find this
"lost" mail, and so changing TMDA to adapt to my personal need was the only
solution I can think of.  I went ahead and made the changes myself, it was
not very difficult.

The draft on auto-email-response is interesting, but the scenarios it mentions
in Section 4 about why not to respond to Reply-To don't happen in my daily
email routine.  I don't consider my solution right, but rather "practical".

-Justin