List:       tkined
Subject:    Re: [tkined] Help required in SNMP GET NEXT operation
From:       Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder () iu-bremen ! de>
Date:       2005-01-17 15:33:21

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 08:07:25AM -0700, Beesu Chandra Shekar wrote:

First of all let me state that this question is a generic SNMP question
and does not really belong here. There are better places to ask such
questions, e.g., comp.protocols.snmp.

> For a getnextrequest operation, if a OID containing uniqe index eg.
> sysuptime.10 is sent to network element and let suppose index 10 is
> not present, will the response from agent should be the error index
> with 0 (only one var bind is sent) and error status GEN_ERROR or the
> response should be the value for next lexographically correct OID
> in MIB tree.
>
> If I do getnext operation for 1.3.6.1.2.2.1.7.10 OID, and assume that
> there is no 1.3.6.1.2.2.1.7.11 OID and as per the MIB directory
> structure the next OID starts at 1.3.6.1.2.2.1.2.0  will the
> information is retrieved for 1.3.6.1.2.2.1.2.0  or GEN_ERROR should
> be the correct response.

A getnext always returns the next object in lexicographic order unless
there is no further object in lexicographic order. In that case, SNMPv1
returns a noSuchName error while SNMPv2c and SNMPv3 return an exception
(but they may as well return a noSuchName error for backwards
compatibility). In your case above, the agent can't return
1.3.6.1.2.2.1.2.0 when queried for 1.3.6.1.2.2.1.7.10 because
1.3.6.1.2.2.1.2.0 < 1.3.6.1.2.2.1.7.10. If there is an OID which
is greater than 1.3.6.1.2.2.1.7.10 (and it is in your view), then
this one will be returned.

> SPECIAL NOTICE
>
> All information transmitted hereby is intended only for the use of the
> addressee(s) named  above and may contain confidential and privileged
> information. Any unauthorized  review, use, disclosure or distribution
> of confidential and privileged information is prohibited. If the reader of
> this message is not the intended recipient(s) or the employee or agent
> responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you
> are hereby notified that you must not read this transmission and that
> disclosure, copying, printing, distribution or use of any of the
> information contained in or attached to this transmission is STRICTLY
> PROHIBITED.
>
> Anyone who receives confidential and privileged information in error should
> notify us immediately by telephone and mail the original message to us at the
> above address and destroy all copies.  To the extent any portion of this
> communication contains public information, no such restrictions
> apply to that information. (gate01)

Note that this mailing list has a public archive and I hereby notify you
that people receive your messages in error. If you think the disclaimer
does not apply, please do not send it around since the receiver can't
make such a decision for you. Thanks.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany