List:       tkined
Subject:    Re: [tkined] Urgent help needed, please ... please ... read...
From:       Dominique.Duflos () alcatel ! fr
Date:       2003-09-01 14:11:00

Lu Yang-LY1003 wrote:

> OK, seems there is no response for my previous e-mail, but I am still continuing my \
> researching ...
> I downloaded previous mailling list archive. And read all of them. I found:
>
> 1) in one of Mr. Michael J. Long's e-mail back to 1997 Dec, a "restrictions" is \
> defined in mib command to support mib range. However, I could not find the \
> restrictions option in scotty 3.0.0. Is this already obsolete? If yes, from what \
> version?
To my knowledge, there never was a "restrictions" keyword.

> 2)in one of Mr. Juergen Schoenwaelder's e-mail back to Feb, 2001, it indicated \
> that"commands such as "mib size DateAndTime" or "mib range InterfaceIndex" now \
> report useful data".  However, when I type in my tcl terminal what I get is:  % mib \
> size  wrong # args: should be "mib size type"
> 	% mib range
> 	wrong # args: should be "mib range type"
> Both size and range requires type as input.

Yes, you have to specify a type when you request a size or range.

> 3) From Mr. Erik Schoenfelder 's e-mail, I download a much newer scotty windows \
> version 20020301 ( thanks a lot for giving this info in the mailing list ).  And I \
> installed it, but I still have pevious problem:
> 	I defined a write-only object in the mib. ( actually in this case, I just modified \
> the sysContact in rfc1213-mib from read-write to write-only)   sysContact \
> OBJECT-TYPE  SYNTAX  DisplayString (SIZE (0..255))
> 		    ACCESS  write-only
> 		    STATUS  mandatory
> 		    DESCRIPTION
> 		"The textual identification of the contact person
> 		            for this managed node, together with information
> 		            on how to contact this person."
> 		    ::= { system 4 }
> 	Then I use mib access to test. What I get is:
> 			% mib access sysContact
> 			% read-write
> 	I barely can believe this is a scotty problem, because there is nobody ever \
> complain about this problem in the mailing list. But when I try the exact same \
> modified mib file in another unix scotty 2.1.0, it gave the correct answer: \
> write-only.
> As for the range question: I still can't figure it out. The object in the mib file \
> looks like:  data_busy_queue_pri_lvl OBJECT-TYPE
> SYNTAX  INTEGER (2...10)
> ACCESS  read-write
> STATUS  mandatory
> > > = { zoneEntry 114 }
> Then I try:
> 		% mib range [mib type data_busy_queue_pri_lvl]
> And I get nothing. Could anyone kindly tell me what's wrong in my operation?

Maybe the problem lies in the tree dots in (2...10). Correct syntax is (2..10).
The latest scotty (see below) gives correct range and size, for example:

% Tnm::mib range SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB!SnmpSecurityModel
0 2147483647
% Tnm::mib size SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB!SnmpEngineID
5 32

> Now the versions I have tied in my PC (windows 2000) are: scotty300-snap20000219, \
> scotty300-snap20000813 and scotty-snap20020301. But all of them are bin file. I \
> couldn't find the source code for any version. I would appreciate if anyone could \
> send me a link of the source code for any above versions?
I use the nightly tarball at
       ftp://ftp.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/local/scotty/
and I compile for Linux. I cannot help you for windows.

DD