List:       timekeepers
Subject:    Re: [time] query rates through the day
From:       Chris Hastie <lists () oak-wood ! co ! uk>
Date:       2009-03-05 16:10:29

On 03/03/09 22:35, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:
 Actually -- that brings me to another thing I'm curious about:

> This particular box is in the US and is set to 50Mbps on http://www.pool.ntp.org/manage/servers
>   -- so it seems to get about 1 query per second "per megabit".
> Does that correspond with what others are seeing?

I'm recording bandwidth rather than qps, but I have noticed an oddity.
Two boxes, both in the UK, both configured at 256k in the control panel.
Both have had relatively recent renumbering, so not a huge history in
the pool.

One is currently averaging about 100bps, the other about 5kbps.

Actually, I've just noticed that my transitional arrangements where by
the machine getting 5k still responds to an old IP address that was in
the pool for a long time is still in place. This may one of the reasons
behind the vast difference. I'll look into this.

Neither, by the way, shows noticeable spikes at the top of the hour.