List:       timekeepers
Subject:    [time] DNS statistics
From:       avbidder () fortytwo ! ch (Adrian von Bidder)
Date:       2007-05-20 16:16:03

On Thursday 17 May 2007 14.39:45 Alica CCS wrote:
> People querying the global
> pool may get a distant server and inaccurate time (maybe error of a sec?)
> Shouldn't the project do something to correct this? Like IP-based zone
> view for different countries. (the Akamai way)

I haven't repeated my mantra for some months, so here's a good
opportunity :-)

ntpd copes with very bad network.  You almost always can get better than
20ms accuracy over a loaded asymmetrical DSL line.  So, technically
speaking, there is no need for the pool to optimise anything on that
front - if you need better accuracy, don't use the pool as it is not
designed to provide that good time.  (and even with a time offset of 10s,
I'd not usually notice it.  Would you?)

Obviously, it's a technical challenge, and if we can do it, why not do it?
But always keep in mind that's a part of the project that's done "because
we can" :-)

cheers
-- vbi

--
Today is Setting Orange, the 67th day of Discord in the YOLD 3173