List:       timekeepers
Subject:    [time] abusive clients
From:       morgad () eclipse ! co ! uk (dave morgan)
Date:       2005-01-11 19:38:05

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:55:23 +0100, Sythos <sythos@sythos.net> wrote:

>On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 09:21:53AM +1100, Joel Reicher wrote:
>> > I now need to re-build my code to add abusers automatically
>> > if I can find how to stop this error message -
>> > webserver:/home/david# /usr/local/sbin/ntpdc -n -c monlist | wc -l
>> > localhost: timed out with incomplete data
>> > ***Response from server was incomplete
>> >     578
>> I think this happens if the load on the machine doing the *query* is too
>> high. Nevertheless, I'm nost sure it matters. I'm under the impression
>> that the server returns stats in order of highest traffic first, so it
>> doesn't matter if you lose the entries off the end for what you're
>> doing.
>
>This is a problem in reverse DNS resolution in ntpdc, try:
>ntpdc -pn -c monlist | wc -l
>and it work
>
>Regards,
>	Sythos

this is ok with version ntpdc -c ver
ntpdc 4.1.0 Mon Mar 25 23:40:04 UTC 2002 (2)
from Debian (stable)

webserver:/home/david# ntpdc -pn -c monlist | wc -l
    611

but not with  /usr/local/sbin/ntpdc -c ver
ntpdc 4.2.0@1.1161-r Wed Dec 22 21:44:17 GMT 2004 (1)
compiled from source

webserver:/home/david# /usr/local/sbin/ntpdc -pn -c monlist | wc -l
localhost: timed out with incomplete data
***Response from server was incomplete
    587

Dave
--