List:       thttpd
Subject:    Re: [THTTPD] patch to add sendfile support for Linux
From:       Daniel Quinlan <quinlan () pathname ! com>
Date:       2001-03-07 7:15:28

Evan Jones <ejones@uwaterloo.ca> writes:

> Is MSG_MORE more efficient or less efficient than the TCP_CORK socket
> option, documented in tcp(7) and referenced from the sendfile(2) man
> page? It seems to me that it would take care of the MSG_MORE for you.

MSG_MORE is more recent.  The problem with TCP_CORK is that you have to
keep track of the cork, MSG_MORE has no state you have to track and it
also requires fewer system calls in some cases.

> Do you mean that the performance is worse than unpatched thttpd, or
> just that it cannot keep 4 X 100baseT networks saturated? I'm simply
> curious, what are you using to benchmark thttpd?

It's about the same as the unpatched thttp and the networks aren't
saturating as well as with tux (not even close).  I probably won't have
much more time this week to play with benchmarks...

I'm using specweb (with dynamic content turned off).  The working set is
much larger than the memory size, so data is continually being paged in
by the kernel.

- Dan