List:       thin
Subject:    [THIN] Recommendations for Thin client devices
From:       "Matt Kosht" <matt.kosht () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-03-28 2:45:38

Although I have been using Citrix (1.8 Metaframe to PS 4.0) and MS
Terminal services (NT 4.0 TSE  to Win2k3 R2)  for about 7-8 yrs now,
I have only used them in conjunction with "real" PC's.  Seeing on the
horizon yet another painful desktop OS upgrade to Vista, I see a
chance to perhaps get off the hamster wheel.
I would like to test a small (initially 2-3 then up to 25 clients)
pilot of these devices. My only exposure to these was a lone Wyse
3360SE (Windows CE 3.0 I think) device many years ago. At that time I
found it slow and limited (graphics resolution) but usable.  I don't
think they would ever replace all the PC's (laptops and GIS editing
stations in particular) in my case, but the vast majority of users use
MS Office, E-mail (groupwise) and a handful of apps (most already
available as published applications on our Citrix farm).

I would be interested in hearing real world opinions of likes/dislikes
in these devices. Be sure to include:
_Make/Model
_OS (CE, XPe, Linux, others?) Do you find one of these superior to another? Why?

Thanks in advance.
-Matt
SBC SITES ONLY GOOGLE SEARCH: http://www.F1U.com