List:       thin
Subject:    [THIN] Little snippet of information if your using Verisgn intermediate certs and the Access Gateway
From:       "M" <mathras () blueyonder ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-02-28 22:03:11

Hello there,

I thought i would share my recent experience of using a Verisign SSL cert with the \
Access Gateway (i usually use Geotrust who are now owned by Verisign .....)

Went through the process back in December and got created a cert. I selected IIS 6 \
for the platform when generating. Had a few external customers at remote sites \
complaining that they were getting SSL cert messages when they connected to the \
gateway.  I had overlooked the fact that verisign use intermediate certs and the \
Access Gateway didnt support them. \
http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX111872&searchID=39690042

I also found that if the clients werent behind a proxy server (ISA server was the \
main culprit) , the Verisign Class 3 Secure Server CA was downloaded automatically \
into Internet Explorers SSL cert store and therfore those users never saw an issue.

I upgraded the AG to 4.5.1 and Verisign very kindly agreed for me to redo the csr \
f.o.c (normally 100 quid after 30 days).

Went through the process again and attempted to upload the crt that Verisign sent. \
Failed to upload every time. Started getting a bit stressed, reset the SSL cert of \
the Gateway via the serial connection and went through the process all over again. \
Failed again and i spent the next 1/2 hour ranting about the Access Gateway and \
Intermediate certifcates. Finally i realised that if you select IIS6 when submitting \
your csr with Verisign, they now include the Intermediate cert as well. The Access \
Gateway failed to upload the crt file because it wasnt a crt file, it was a p7b file. \
This is not an issue for IIS6 servers but it is with the Gateway being a linux based \
device.

After renaming the file to xxx.p7b i double clicked on the file ... lo and behold \
both the cert and intermediate cert were displayed. i was then able to extract both \
as base64 encoded and then follow the procedure laid down in CTX111872

All now working nicely and no issues with Intermediate certifcates.

I hope this may save someone else some time :¬)