List:       thin
Subject:    [THIN] ODBC/bound vs. SQL Procs/unbound with SQL back-end
From:       "Toby Bierly" <toby () stahlbush ! com>
Date:       2006-11-30 23:03:39

Perhaps a little OT, but I would love to have some feedback on the pros =
and cons, from a networking perspective, of using ODBC/bound forms vs. =
SQL Stored Procedures/unbound forms when you are using Access as a =
front-end and a SQL Server back-end.

Is the unbound route superior to just linking the SQL tables via ODBC =
and creating bound forms in Access?  I am working on a database that =
will be used by 50-100 users once fully rolled out.  All the users log =
onto a TS to use the Access front-end.  The data sits on a seperate SQL =
Server.  I know there are some advantages when using Stored Procedures, =
such as less data needing to be transmitted over the network with Select =
queries.  Or if you had multiple different versions of front-ends that =
wrote to the same table, you could help ensure table integrity by =
providing Stored Procedures to Insert/Update data in the table, =
especially if any writes to that table require corresponding writes in =
another table (Transactions).  But in this case, it is just one =
front-end being programmed by one person (me), and getting functionality =
added sooner rather than later is a priority.

This is especially true with some existing databases with 30+ forms that =
are all bound forms that my client wants added/integrated into the =
current database that has all unbound forms. I'm thinking I could Upsize =
the tables, and for the most part copy in all the queries, bound forms, =
and bound reports, as well as code from those databases fairly quickly =
compared to totally rewriting the entire database if I had to convert =
everything to unbound forms.

One other question.  Currently the database front-ends are stored on the =
TS.  My client would like to move them to another server with more =
space.  How much additional network traffic would it create to have the =
users logging onto TS to open an Access front-end stored on a 2nd Server =
that is pulling data from 3rd (SQL) Server, as opposed to the front-ends =
being stored directly on the TS?  Or would it not really make any =
difference.

All thoughts and feedback appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Toby