List:       thin
Subject:    [THIN] Re: Bandwidth usage Internet Explorer 5.5 versus Internet Explorer 6.0
From:       Matt Kosht <matt.kosht () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-08-31 17:24:17

On 8/31/05, Jan Homan <jan@square1.nl> wrote:

> When browsing for example to www.microsoft.com site IE 6.0 uses 300 Kbytes
> bandwidth for a couple of seconds,
> IE 5.5 "only" uses about 120 Kbytes. In a WAN environment (e.g 256 or 512
> Kbit line) this causes a very slow performance.
>
> Both with RDP and ICA.

Are all the Internet options similar between IE 5.5 and IE 6.0? Size
of cache being a big component.  Proxy settings if different could be
another variable.  Also to make it a decent comparison you should
empty or disable the cache before testing each consumption.

To reduce bandwidth overall, proxy thru a local http cache server.
Microsoft makes one though it will 1) cost money and 2) Naturally work
only on Windows servers.  I see cache hits on my own server range from
35%-60%

Microsoft ISA
.
http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/default.mspx

An excellent open/free choice is Squid.  Runs on most any platform
(including Windows)

http://www.squid-cache.org

Squid ported to Windows
http://www.acmeconsulting.it/pagine/opensource/squid/squidnt25.htm
This Weeks Sponsor: triCerat Inc.
You need Day Zero Protection!
Get Proactive with triCerat's Simplify Suite.
Solve printing, security and profile problems before they occur.
http://www.tricerat.com/?thethintl2