List:       theora
Subject:    [theora] NHW Project - improvement of -l7 quality setting - more neatness
From:       Raphael Canut <nhwcodec () gmail ! com>
Date:       2018-05-30 20:30:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hello,

Just a word to let you know that I have improved -l7 high compression
quality setting, thanks to a new processing and I have also corrected an
error in the residual coding.Now it has more neatness/definition.Files size
is also a little smaller (and please keep in mind that the entropy coding
schemes are not optimal for now, so we can save 1.5Ko-2Ko per .nhw file).

Actually I find -l7 quality setting now quite competitive with x265 (HEVC)
because we clearly see that the NHW codec has more neatness and I find it
more pleasant!...

I have also started to work on -l8 quality setting but it is not ready...
would need new ideas and new approach of perceived quality.

However for -h3 to -l7 quality setting, the NHW Project is competitive with
x265 (HEVC), it is furthermore royalty-free and very faster!

Update at: http://nhwcodec.blogspot.com/

Any opinion on the NHW Project is very welcome!

Cheers,
Raphael