List:       textbook-l
Subject:    Re: [Textbook-l] Re: General News about Wikibooks
From:       Robert Scott Horning <robert_horning () netzero ! net>
Date:       2005-07-31 7:40:11

Anthere wrote:

>> User:Aya has volunteered for and been granted bureaucrat status.
>> What this means for Wikibooks is that more administrators are going
>> to be created, with the latest being Geocachernemesis.  You can
>> debate if she will be good at this, but then again that should have
>> been done on the Request for Admin Status page.  The previous
>> bureaucrats have been on haitus or away from Wikibooks on other
>> projects, and it appears that Aya is more dedicated to just Wikibooks
>> specifically.  Wikibooks is growing, and the ever present need to
>> police what is happening on Wikibooks is also growing.  Thanks to all
>> of the administrators who have been working hard in the past to help
>> clean up things like the Ass Pus attacks and in general cleaning up
>> everything on Wikibooks.
>>

> Aya just put a comment on request for permission on meta to be
> informed how he could remove sysop power as he did not find how to do
> it yet on wikibooks.
>
> I read the above discussion... and must say I am a bit surprised you
> elected a bureaucrat who has obviously very little idea of what the
> various types of status can or can not do and very little idea how the
> request for permission system work.
>
> But well...
>
> In any cases, as a reminder, only stewards can desysop editors,
> bureaucrats can not, so Aya will not be able to do it.
>
> Cheers
>
> Anthere

Aya has been put in mainly because there seems to be some neglect on the
part of the previous bureaucrats to recognize the nomination of
admins... and there seem to be a few new people who are capable of
becoming an admin right now.  The bar was set IMHO way too high, even to
the point that it didn't appear any more users were going to be granted
admin status.  Mainly this is a way for the active users of Wikibooks to
gain control and try to stop some of the vandalism that is going on...
together with some of the internal edit wars that seem to portray an old
guard vs. new blood attitude.  I hope that heals and we can continue to
promote Wikibooks.

As for removing admin status from problem admins, I guess this is going
to fall on the shoulders of stewards overall, and may require some minor
monitoring of complaints.  If it becomes too blatant and out of control
(I'm being banned due to internal politics and not because of vandalism
and policy violations) I'll scream on Foundation-l.  I don't think that
will ever happen, however.  There are a number of admins that seem to be
very inactive, and I guess policy issues regarding what to do with
inactive admins may take place.

Wikibooks is taking off into its own directions, with some people who
are specializing in primarily Wikibooks, and not necessarily Wikipedia.
 Too bad most of them are not subscribers to this list, however.

--
Robert Scott Horning