List:       textbook-l
Subject:    [Textbook-l] web reference books
From:       Marius Scurtescu <marius.scurtescu () gmail ! com>
Date:       2004-12-06 5:01:08

Hi,

Even though I know about Wikipedia for a while only recently I started
to look more closely to this project. I was thinking how to start a
free online reference for Web related technologies (HTML, JavaScript,
CSS, ...) using a Wiki.

Wikibooks looks like an excellent candidate for this project and I
would like to ask your opinion.

I was thinking to start with an HTML reference where each tag is
described on one page and where everyone one can contribute. The
reference should contain lots of examples and cookbook style recipes.
It should highlight differences between browser. It should focus on
the standard but should also specify all browser specific features.

Once the HTML reference is started at least two other related
reference manuals should be created: JavaScript and CSS. These three
manuals  probably will make lots of references to each other.

Also, corresponding Cookbooks should be created, either as part of
these reference manuals or as stand alone books.

Ideal features that do not seem to be supported by Wikibooks:
- syntax coloring for code examples
- sample HTML files that can be tested as one reads the reference
- live testing of code
- page templates so a whole book has a consistent layout

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions on this matter.

Thanks,
Marius