List:       tcpreplay-users
Subject:    Re: [Tcpreplay-users] A general question regarding tcpreplay
From:       Aaron Turner <synfinatic () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-03-23 20:41:57

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Guanyao Huang <gyhuang@ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> Hi
> I have a very general question regarding tcpreplay a pcap trace. When
> replaying a trace, what is the actual time interval between two
> different packets when you specifying a replay rate. Suppose
> originally two intervals are 0.1s and 0.2s. If I want to replay at
> lower rate, the intervals becomes 1s and 2s, or, will it become 1.5s
> and 1.5s? Will the interval be uniform after I specifying a larger
> rate, or, will it be according to the original interval?
> Thanks.

Depends on what options you use.  You can specify a hard coded rate in
terms of packets/sec or Mbps, or use a multiplier to cause it to run X
times faster/slower.  Ie:  --multiplier=0.1 would cause it to run 10x
slower (0.1 sec becomes 1sec and 0.2sec -> 2sec).

This is all documented in the man pages and online manual on the
tcpreplay website:

http://tcpreplay.synfin.net/wiki/tcpreplay#Replayingatdifferentspeeds

--
Aaron Turner