List:       tcpdump-workers
Subject:    [tcpdump-workers] =?windows-1252?Q?Re=3A_=5Btcpdump-workers=5D_libpcap_1=2E1=2E1_?=
From:       Guy Harris <guy () alum ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2011-04-25 10:29:22

On Apr 25, 2011, at 3:08 AM, Laurent Debricon wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a bit confused and missing some knowledge about the kernel & libc :
>
> - I am trying to compile the latest libpcap 1.1.1 from github (
> https://github.com/mcr/libpcap/tree/libpcap_1.1 ) (I am trying to build
> because I need the fix from March 23, 2011 about packet capture size).
> - My system is lenny with it's kernel 2.6.26
> - Having a 10gig NIC from Intel and the right motherboard & chipset, I
> wanted to get all the new features (like pcap_mmap ... ) , so I built a
> 2.6.37 kernel, and it's booting fine. So now I am on Lenny with a 2.6.37
>
> - Now when I want to build libpcap, I have errors like that one :
> ./pcap-linux.c:3200: error: ‘PACKET_RESERVE’ undeclared (first use in this
> function)

I'd suggest that you try building the latest version from the libpcap 1.2 branch or \
the trunk; there are no plans to release a libpcap 1.1.2, so I haven't been \
propagating fixes, such as the fix to handle older kernels that didn't define \
PACKET_RESERVE, to the 1.1 branch.  (The 1.1 branch has the fix that caused \
pcap-linux.c to use PACKET_RESERVE:

commit 9982024b5718fac524d8c637329206ea80d7b8ad
Author: Julien Moutinho <julm@savines.alpes.fr.eu.org>
Date:   Tue Mar 22 23:53:15 2011 -0700

    Fix the calculation of the frame size in memory-mapped captures.

    The old calculation truncated packets to a smaller value than the
    snapshot length.

but not the fix I made so that it builds on systems with kernels that don't define \
PACKET_RESERVE.)

Michael, there doesn't seem to be a libpcap_1.2 branch on github, but there is one on \
                bpf.tcpdump.org.  The same is true for tcpdump - no tcpdump_4.2 \
                branch on github.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.