List:       tcpdump-workers
Subject:    Re: [tcpdump-workers] tcpdump not giving details
From:       Guy Harris <guy () alum ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2010-09-25 21:43:08

On Sep 25, 2010, at 6:44 AM, Nigel Kent wrote:

> Why does tcpdump not give my more details? Each time it only comes as  - \
> 16:22:26.128541 [|ether]
> # ./tcpdump -vv not port 22
> tcpdump: listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 65535 bytes
> 16:22:26.128541 [|ether]
> 16:22:26.128541 [|ether]
> 16:22:26.128541 [|ether]
> 16:22:26.128541 [|ether]
> 16:22:26.128541 [|ether]

Because, for some reason, the packet data it's getting is less than 14 bytes long.

What version of libpcap and tcpdump is this?  (Run "tcpdump -h" to get the version \
information.)

What OS is this?  (Probably Linux, given the interface name "eth0".)  What version of \
the OS is that?  (For Linux, give the kernel version.)

What type of interface is eth0?  Is it an Ethernet interface or some interface that \
the OS is saying looks like an Ethernet but that really isn't?- This is the \
tcpdump-workers list. Visit https://cod.sandelman.ca/ to unsubscribe.