List:       tcpdump-workers
Subject:    Re: [tcpdump-workers] Cannot catch vlan frames with tcpdump
From:       "Ian Brown" <ianbrn () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-01-28 13:33:24

Hello,
BTW, I wrote a small module which checks the features member of the
8139 RTL net device.
(see: include/linux/netdevice.h in the kernel tree).
I found out the followoing :

NETIF_F_VLAN_CHALLENGED is not set => VLANs is supported

 NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_RX is NOT set => no HW VLAN RX acceleration
 NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_TX is NOT set => no HW VLAN TX acceleration

 vlan_rx_register is NULL.

 Does this shed more light on my question and gives any hints ?

 I am still bewildered; why can't I sniff vlan packets?

 Regards,
 Ian

On Jan 28, 2008 9:03 AM, Guy Harris <guy@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Ian Brown wrote:
> > It is 8139 (RTL).
>
> Yes, but what interface name were you capturing on?  eth0 (which I'm
> assuming is the RTL 8139 adapter in question), or some other interface
> (or pseudo-interface)?
>
> -
> This is the tcpdump-workers list.

-