List:       tcpdump-workers
Subject:    Re: [tcpdump-workers] patch: Allow various ethernet address notations
From:       Arien Vijn <arien.vijn () ams-ix ! net>
Date:       2008-01-07 16:18:35

On 7 Jan 2008, at 16:37, Joerg Mayer wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 03:13:32PM +0100, Arien Vijn wrote:
>> Attached is a small patch which makes libpcap filter expressions a
>> bit
>> more tolerant towards ethernet (MAC) address notations.
>
> Did you use invisible ink^H^H^Hpixels in the attached patch?

Not sure what you mean exactly. I guess the file did not come through
in good order? You may want to download it from SourceForge or from
here:

http://www.ams-ix.net/~arien/macnotation-0.9.8.diff

I just tried it from there and it works for me.

>> \3 seems preferred by the IEEE and in many books.
>
> The '-' notation should be used by all media that use the Ethernet bit
> order, TR should use ':' - at least if I interpreted the IEEE
> correctly.
> Well, it seems that hardly anyone knows that (or that I'm imagining
> things of course :-)

I for one, did not know that but it seems another reason for this
patch :)

Thanks, Arien

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.