List:       tcpdump-workers
Subject:    Re: [tcpdump-workers] mbuf leaks with tcpdump on netbsd
From:       Guy Harris <guy () alum ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2005-07-10 22:03:11

Pavan Mirla wrote:

> After I use tcpdump to set my interface to promiscuous mode I se that
> my mbufs are getting exhausted.I later get the errot "mlcpool reached
> it's limit, increase NMBCLUSTERS size. "
> netstat -m shows me multiple calls to protocol drain routines.I am
> using netBSD version 1.6.
>
> Can someone suggest a  way to monitor these buffers and release all of
> them when they are getting filled up.Some thing like a garbage
> collector to recover from memory leaks.

I don't know of one (you'd have to put it into the kernel, obviously) -
and I don't think you can just free up "all of {the mbufs}" easily, as
you'd have to clear up, for example, each socket in which they're
buffered, and deliver errors to the applications using those sockets.

You should probably report this to the NetBSD developers.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.