List:       tcpdump-workers
Subject:    Re: [tcpdump-workers] Translation of IP addresses in a tcpdump file.
From:       John Fastabend <jfastabe () up ! edu>
Date:       2003-05-29 5:47:09

Hello,

if you have *nix os take a look at sed it should be able to do what you
are talking (#man sed    for the documentation). This should work for you
maybe im off base though.

 On Wed, 28 May 2003, Vaidehi Kasarekar wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I want to edit a tcpdump file. I want to replace
> some addresses by some other addresses and delete rest
> of the addresses, present in the tcpdump file. I did a
> considerable amount of research on the available
> tools. I found netdude useful. But netdude does not
> support large files. My tcpdump files are very large.
> I did not find any other tools, which could translate
> these ip addresses.
>
>   I am aware that all the tools use the libpcap API's.
> The alternative to my problem would be to write code,
> which will read tcpdump file. Get it in a buffer,
> search for the ipaddress-to-be-replaced, replace them
> with different ip adrresses.
>
> This is a very preliminary step of my research and i
> am  a java-girl. i am not that comfortable with the
> libpcap format. My research depends on this step. I am
> not even sure of how difficult this task can be. This
> is a very imp step for me.
>
> Has anybody got this problem earlier? Can i find
> some code/references to do this.
>
> Any pointers or hints in this direction will be very
> useful.
>
> Thanks
> -Vaidehi

"Dependence on computers is apparently making a significant fraction
of the population incurably stupid." -- Fritz Whittington

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html