List:       tccc
Subject:    [Tccc] CFP: JSAC Special Issue on Wireless Ad Hoc Networks
From:       Jeff Wieselthier <wieselthier () itd ! nrl ! navy ! mil>
Date:       2003-02-24 19:15:38

CALL FOR PAPERS
             IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications
                        WIRELESS AD HOC NETWORKS

http://www.argreenhouse.com/society/J-SAC/Calls/wireless_adhoc.html

Novel approaches are needed to address ad hoc networks, which are
characterized by the lack of an infrastructure.  For example,
point-to-point and point-to-multipoint modes of communication must be
supported in a multihop network that typically consists of small
(often disadvantaged) users that are characterized by severely
limited energy supply, signal-processing capability, antenna
directivity, bandwidth, etc.  Crucial applications for mobile ad hoc
networks include military communications and disaster relief,
although commercial applications are certainly possible as well.  In
applications with a large number of nodes, scalability is a major
concern.

The study of ad hoc networks is an interdisciplinary one, which can
potentially incorporate communication and information theory,
distributed networking algorithms, data structures and compression,
coding, signal processing, detection, antenna characteristics,
optimization methods, simulation, testbed implementations etc.
Papers submitted for this special issue must directly address ad hoc
networking issues.

We outline here only a few of the many aspects of ad hoc network
design and control that will be addressed in this special issue.
First, distributed network organization algorithms (such as those for
clustering) may be used to create the equivalent of an ad hoc
infrastructure.  Distributed algorithms are also needed for routing,
channel access, and other control functions.  Networking techniques
for ad hoc networks must address the challenges imposed by the
all-wireless environment.  For example, by contrast with wired
networks, the conventional layered protocol stack is not well suited
to the ad hoc wireless networking environment because it does not
exploit the potential improvements in performance that can be
obtained by jointly designing protocols that span multiple layers.
Specifically, it is expected that improved performance can be
obtained by considering the properties of the physical and data link
layers when designing and operating the media-access control (MAC)
protocol.  Similarly, there are potential benefits to be obtained by
developing protocols that address jointly the routing and MAC
functions.  Additional benefits can be obtained by jointly addressing
higher-layer functions along with routing and MAC.  Energy-aware
protocols (from the perspective of either energy-efficient or
energy-constrained operation) are of critical importance in many ad
hoc scenarios.  Such energy-aware operation can span multiple layers,
e.g., by addressing trade-offs between energy used for RF
transmission and for signal processing.

It is the goal of this special issue to reflect the latest in the
state of the art in ad hoc networks by examining all aspects of ad
hoc network design and control, including the dependencies between
various network functions and the potential benefits that can be
gained by cross-layer design.  We are interested in papers on
fundamental performance limits, but more importantly on algorithm
design and performance, system implementations, etc.

We are seeking papers that describe original and unpublished
contributions addressing various aspects of ad hoc networking.
Possible topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

      * Physical layer issues in ad hoc networks
      * Media Access Control (MAC) techniques
      * Self-organizing architectures and protocols
      * Routing protocols
      * Cross-layer protocol design
      * Mobility management
      * Protocols for mobile applications
      * Transport-layer issues
      * Signal-processing issues in ad hoc networks
      * Integration with wired networks
      * Applications
      * Energy-aware protocols
      * Security in ad hoc networks
      * Capacity and scheduling
      * Node implementation
      * Effects on existing protocols
      * Quality of service
      * Broadcasting and multicasting
      * Multimedia and traffic integration
      * Experiments and testbeds
      * Error-control schemes
      * Synchronization and scheduling
      * Scalability
      * Performance analysis and simulation
      * Properties of antennas
      * Optimization methods
      * Fundamental limits in ad hoc networks

All papers on any of the above topics must include a definite and
strong connection to ad hoc networks.  Please contact Jeffrey
Wieselthier at wieselthier@itd.nrl.navy.mil if there are any
questions about the suitability of the paper for this special issue.

Prospective authors should prepare their manuscripts in accordance
with the IEEE J-SAC format described in the Information for Authors
at the J-SAC website.  All papers should be submitted in pdf format
via email to Jeffrey Wieselthier at wieselthier@itd.nrl.navy.mil
according to the following timetable:

      Manuscript Submission:     October 15, 2003
      Acceptance Notification:   April 1, 2004
      Final Manuscript Due:      June 1, 2004
      Publication:               4th Quarter 2004

                        Guest Editors

Dr. Jeffrey E. Wieselthier, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington,
DC, wieselthier@itd.nrl.navy.mil

Prof. Eitan Altman, INRIA, Sophia-Antipolis, Cedex, FRANCE,
Eitan.Altman@sophia.inria.fr

Prof. Anthony Ephremides, University of Maryland, College Park, MD,
tony@eng.umd.edu

Mr. Joseph Macker, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC,
macker@itd.nrl.navy.mil

Prof. Harlan B. Russell, Clemson University, Clemson, SC,
hrussel@hubcap.clemson.edu

Dr. Martha Steenstrup, Stow Research L.L.C., Flanders, NJ, steenie@rcn.com

Prof. Stephen Wicker, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, wicker@ee.cornell.edu