List:       taskjuggler-devel
Subject:    Re: [taskjuggler-devel] TaskJuggler - Hardware Resources?
From:       Matthias Welwarsky <welwarsky () archos ! com>
Date:       2004-07-30 15:45:07

On Friday 30 July 2004 17:31, Chris Schlaeger wrote:
> On Friday 30 July 2004 17:25, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> > But isn't "rate" only about cost?  "maxeffort" or "load" cannot be set to
> > 0, 0.125 seems to be minimum. Also, if I set maxeffort to 0, wouldn't TJ
> > assume that the resource cannot be allocated, according to the
> > documentation?
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you want to achive. Setting maxeffort or
> load to 0 is essentially like not allocation a resource at all. What would
> be the purpose of this?

None, of course. I was unsure if you didn't mistakenly say "rate" instead of
load or maxeffort. I just fail to see what setting "rate 0" as attribute of a
resource would do. I thought that "rate" is only about accounting and has no
effect on workload and effort calculations...

> > There's another fact to consider: If a "hardware" resource is allocated
> > to a task, that doesn't mean that the task can be started without a
> > "human" resource. You have to work around that by always allocating human
> > resources as "mandatory" together with "hardware": those two types do not
> > form alternatives.
>
> Do you only want to allocate "hardware" when a human resource gets
> allocated? Than making the human resource mandatory is the right way to do
> this.

OK. It's kind of inconvenient, but it'll do.