List:       taskjuggler
Subject:    [taskjuggler] Re: missing: highlight critical path in gantt chart
From:       Chris Schlaeger <cs () suse ! de>
Date:       2005-10-23 20:52:06

I agree that there is definitely room for improvement in the way TaskJuggler supports \
you when looking at critical pathes. Many reports can show a 'criticalness' and a \
'pathcriticalness' column. These values are used for the scheduling process and are \
computed before the scheduling is done. 'cricialness' is a measure for the likelyhood \
of the task to get it's resources. 'pathcricialness' is a weighted measure of all \
tasks on all pathes this task is on.

The main reason why TJ does not have a critical path display as some other project \
management programs have, is the limited usefullness of this feature. It just focuses \
on the most used (time wise) path between the earliest and the latest task. There \
could be several, but usually only one is displayed.

I want to provide a better way that looks at all pathes and rates their criticalness \
similar to the pre-scheduling evaluation. But I haven't found a good way to calculate \
and display it. The implementation is probably trivial, but I haven't found a good \
algorithm yet.

Chris

--
TaskJuggler Developer