List:       taskjuggler
Subject:    [taskjuggler] accompanying task
From:       Max Hofer <max.hofer () apus ! co ! at>
Date:       2004-09-30 14:32:17

Is it possible to split (share) the effort of task T1 based on the "duration"
of an other task T2?

In a real world example i estimate that the project management process PMP
accompanies (sp?) the development process (DP).

The estimated effort for the PMP should be consumed over the duration of the
DP.  Not sooner, not later.

Assuming the DP slowed down (miscalculated effort), not increasing the PMP
effort. The PMP is still needed until the end of the DP, but not so
excessively per day. The PMP resource would have spared time to manage other
tasks.

is there a way to describe this with taskjuggler?

i would imagine something like that:

------ example start ---------------
task dev "Development" {
    # this tasks start when <dev> starts
    task pm "Project Managment" {
        # i hope this is possible: how does pm end if it is a subtask of dev?
        end !!dev
        # we estimate the work for the PM to 10 days
        effort 10d
        # project manager does not work more than 2 hours/day for this task
        allocate prjManager { limits { dailymax 2h } }
    }
    # here we put the real development tasks
    task ....
}
------ example end ---------------

in this example the estimated work for the PMP is 10 days with 2 hours/day.
This means after 40 days (10day*8hours/2 hours = 40) the estimated PMP effort
of 10 days is consumed.

My wish would be that the dailymax would adjust automatically to the need of
the dev task.

Coming back to my example i assume the dev tasks lasts 60 working days --->
the prjManager resources should be allocated only 1.3hours/day (10 days*8
hours/60days=1,3333) even if it could be allocated for 2 hours/day.

maybe i try to imagine a situation which does not happen in real projects ...
or i have no clue about project management ;-)

--
Max Hofer
APUS Software G.m.b.H.