List:       tarsnap-users
Subject:    Using scrypt as a library
From:       Thomas Tempelmann <tempelmann () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-08-31 11:41:34

I like scrypt. I wanted to use it instead of the older PBKDF2 and bcrypt
algos in my Mac application, but found that the source code only produces a
cmdline tool.

I could not find any instructions for building a lib, which is much more
appropriate for general use.

So, for OS X, I've now built a dylib using Xcode. It caused ony little
problem with the declaration of "initstate" in *sha256.c*: I had to rename
it to avoid a name clash with some darwin based function, it seemed.

If anyone else is interested, I've put up the instructions here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/39222759

To the maintainers of the code: Please add an option to the makefile to
build a lib for each supported platform. It would make using the lib
easier, I'm sure. Or put the code up on github and allow others to
contribute, so that we can find forks that take care of such needs, perhaps.

Besides that - thanks for making it available!

--
Thomas Tempelmann, http://www.tempel.org/
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/tempelorg