List:       tarsnap-users
Subject:    Re: Error reading cache: Operation now in progress
From:       Colin Percival <cperciva () tarsnap ! com>
Date:       2014-02-06 20:53:40

On 02/06/14 08:41, Gabriel Kerneis wrote:
> my machine crashed the other day (possibly in the middle of a tarsnap
> backup).  Since then, I get the following whenever I try to create an
> archive:
>
> tarsnap: Error reading cache: /var/lib/tarsnap/cache/cache: Operation now in progress
> tarsnap: Error reading cache
> 20140206-16-HOURLY-wanbli-/etc backup error. Exiting

Delete the file /var/lib/tarsnap/cache/cache.  It got corrupted somehow
(most likely truncated due to the OS crash) but will be regenerated
automatically.  (This is the file which says "the last time we looked at
file /foo/bar, it contained blocks X, Y, and Z" -- without this file you
will have extra disk I/O and CPU time as Tarsnap re-examines everything,
but that's all.)

> Deleting archives works fine. tarsnap --fsck completes without any scary
> message.

I have an astonishing mess of namespace collisions.  Deleting archives needs,
and fsck reconstructs, the *directory file* in the cache directory.  The
problem you're running into is with the *cache file* in the cache directory.

Clear as mud? ;-)

--
Colin Percival