List:       taroon-list
Subject:    Re: rsnapshot in script
From:       Roger Beever <roger2 () rogernet ! net>
Date:       2004-06-26 9:33:09

On Sat, 2004-06-26 at 00:19, Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 11:41:55PM +0100, Roger Beever wrote:
> > I have been using rsnapshot for a while and would like to put it in a
> > script to help automate things a bit more but I'm not up in scripting at
> > all.
> > The script would call rsnapshot hourly (name of the routine not
> > literally every hour).
> > But the real stopper is the how to respond in the script to the password
> > request.
>
> Since rsnapshot can tunnel over ssh, I'm assuming this is what you're
> using.  Set up ssh keys since you don't have to answer a password - this
> is much safer than hardcoding a password in a script.

Thanks to for both the people who replied.
I'm using it on a home LAN behind a firewall so the ssh might be
overkill at the moment SSH is something I will need to get to know
eventually so this might be a good learning item.
rsnapshot is a routine that makes backups of directories.
It may just be a script that calls another routine like rsync (might be
wrong on spelling or totally wrong ;-)
I was walked through setting it up via this list so the info should be
in the archive. I will have to look in the archives myself as I can't
remember how I set it up.
Regards Roger