List:       taroon-list
Subject:    Re: Help, Dead Drive
From:       Aviram Carmi <avi () otn ! com>
Date:       2004-06-25 18:12:53

disk seems totally dead, cannot even access it using the Adaptec util
at bootup (on IBM Netfinity you can press CTRL-A at boot up to access
Adaptec utils for configuration and disk formatting/testing) get
sense code 40h whatever that means...

I printed your email, and will attempt to follow it.

I do have another spare disk but machine has only three bays, I might
be able to hang the temp disk in it (I think my SCSI cable has four
connectors, and I should have a spare power connector somewhere in
the system...)

when you say "both disk 1" do you mean "boot the RHEL CD-ROM Disk 1"?

how do I "dd the first 1k"?

luckily this was a relatively fresh install, I never had time do
really do anything much with the machine.

the only thing running on it was FileMaker Pro Server, so I just
restored the database files and I am using a spare Mac to host them
now...

Thanks a lot for your help

-avi

At 12:33 -0500 06/25/2004, Ed Wilts wrote:
>  On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 09:44:25AM -0700, Aviram Carmi wrote:
>>  One of the disks in my RHEL 3 system (IBM 36GB 15K RPM SCSI) died,
>>  Sense code 40h?
>
>  I'm a sucker for punishment so I'll take on pieces of this puzzle...
>
>>  I cannot boot up the system and the backup client (Retrospect) of
>>  course is also not available.
>>
>>  I do have two other disks in the system, though I do not recall
>>  exactly which file systems are mounted there... I think one was
>>  dedicated to /tmp, but I am not sure...
>>
>>  I also do not recall the partitioning of the dead one, which if I
>>  recall correctly was quite involved, with some non-standard
>>  partitions such as (/u /u1 /u2)
>>
>>  is there any way to recover the partitioning?
>
>  The partition information is in the last 64 bytes of the first 512 byte
>  block.  If you never backed it up, and you never wrote it down, and your
>  drive is totally dead, so are you.  You could, of course, ship your
>  drive to a recovery company but that will cost big $.
>
>  In the future, in your backup script, do an fdisk -l to a file that it's
>  in your backup set somewhere.
>
>>  I can sort of guess by looking at the backup set, but this will only
>>  give me the partitions names, not all their sizes, were they were
>>  mounted, nor all the hard links I had going on. for example, I think
>>  I had /var/www hard linked to /u1/var/www.
>
>  In your backup set, you've got /etc/fstab which will tell you where the
>  partitions where mounted.
>
>>  How do I format/partition the new disk without an OS?
>
>  Both disk 1 into recovery mode.  It will mount (or attempt to) your old
>  disk in /mnt/sysimage and you'll have enough tools present to format and
>  partition the new drive, dd if possible to get the partition information
>  back (if you can dd the first 1K you're in business).
>
>>  How do I restore from the tape, without an OS or a backup client?
>
>  You've got an OS on the first disk in rescue mode.  You can bring the
>  network up and you can read the CD.  Whether you can install your backup
>  client I don't know.
>
>>  do I install RHEL from scratch, install Retrospect client and then restore?
>
>  You might find it faster to grab a spare disk, install a fresh minimal
>  RHEL environment, install the client, and then do the restore to the
>  good disk.  Then install install grub on the good disk and go from
>  there.  A 2gb or 4gb drive is probably enough to install rhel on for
>  recovery purposes.
>
>>  however, the restoration will overwrite the running system, is this
>>  going to be a problem?
>
>  That's why ideally it should be an extra disk.
>
>  I don't know anything about Retrospect so you're on your own there for
>  Retrospect-specific stuff.  Restore the entire volume if you can though,
>  or at least entire mount points.
>
>  --
>  Ed Wilts, RHCE
>  Mounds View, MN, USA
>  mailto:ewilts@ewilts.org
> [...]

Aviram Carmi
Owner
Executive Vice President, Technology

Over TheNet (R)
601 Daily Drive Suite #226
Camarillo, CA 93010-5840

http://www.otn.com/   Building Profitable Web Sites Today
(805) 384-1144 Voice  (805) 384-9111 FAX

(C) Copyright 2004, Over TheNet (R)  All rights reserved.