List:       taroon-beta-list
Subject:    "the trick" for s390x vnc graphical install
From:       "Bradley S Schmidt WZ7X" <bradleys () seanet ! com>
Date:       2003-09-26 15:40:51

We had been having trouble getting the vnc graphical install to start on
s390x.

It turns out that we were just impatient.  We were trying to start the vnc
graphical install from the very beginning of the install.  Anaconda was not
ready for vnc yet.

It is necessary to do a few steps of the install via ssh or telnet before
the vnc server is started by anaconda.  Specifically, install options must
be given via telnet or ssh through selection of an install method (ftp, nfs,
etc) and server.  Once these are selected (we used nfs), anaconda drops out
of the non-graphical installer and says to connect with vnc.

For those folks familiar with installing RedHat, this may have been an
obvious step.  In fact, strictly speaking, the initial message says to
connect with ssh or telnet.  We just assumed that we should use vnc instead.
We're mostly IBM MVS folks, and haven't yet figured out what to assume and
what to take literally.

It might be appropriate for RedHat to add a note to the release notes that
part of the ssh/telnet install must be done before vnc starts.

Hopefully this info will be useful to others.