List:       taroon-beta-list
Subject:    Re: amanada and filesystem acls
From:       Helmut Wirth <wirth () bison-soft ! de>
Date:       2003-08-27 15:25:29

Al Tobey wrote:

> Before starting your backup:
> getfacl -R /path >/var/backup/acls.txt
>
> Then at restore:
> setfacl --restore=/var/backup/acls.txt
>
> I'm sure this would be a little easier to add to amanda than star
> support.  With HP DataProtector (a.k.a. OmniBack), I can specify
> pre-backup and post-backup scripts.  This makes backing up the ACL's
> trivial.

Yes, i know this workaround. That's what i use now on my acl-patched
2.2.21 kernel. But if you restore (some) files from incremental backup,
you also have to restore the acls.txt which contains the acl's of ALL
files - maybe in the meantime some acl's of files which are not part
of the restore process have changed ... so you have to apply a filter
to acls.txt to only setfacl the acl's for the restored files. acls.txt
contains multiple lines per file - so the filter isn't a simple
on-line "grep" or so, it must be a more advanced script.

Don't understand me wrong, of course this is all solvable. But IMHO
there should be a clean standard solution without need for hacking around
for such a elementary problem in a professional server system like
Redhat AS 3.

Ciao,
--
Helmut Wirth

wirth@bison-soft.de
bison GmbH                         phone +49 89 / 50 03 91-14
Ridlerstr. 11                      fax   +49 89 / 50 03 91-17
D-80339 Muenchen                   http://www.bison-soft.de/