List:       tapestry-user
Subject:    Tapestry Mailing List vs Forum
From:       "Newham, Cameron" <cameron.newham () bl ! uk>
Date:       2010-11-25 9:50:29

An interesting discussion.

However, while I do see that a forum would, perhaps, be initially more user friendly \
for new people to join, in the end the creation of such a thing would either divide \
the community into those on the ML and those on the forum, or at worst the forum \
would end up with new users joining and no answers because all of the old hands are \
on this ML. It wouldn't look good either way.

Personally I prefer the ML for Tapestry - mainly because the signal to noise ratio is \
high, there aren't huge numbers of posts, and the things drop into my mailbox where I \
can easily see them. People on here are (for the most part) friendly and very \
helpful. I'd rather that wasn't damaged by changing things just for the sake of \
change.

I'd rather that the effort going into this discussion was instead directed to \
providing better documentation. It's one thing I find most frustrating in the \
computer industry. I'm afraid I'm not as geeky as some who reside on here and \
elsewhere; I like instructions to have all the parts filled in, rather than \
instructions where large parts are missing and only the "juicy details" given because \
the author assumes you understand and can fill in background yourself. Some of the \
HOW-TOs are unfortunately like that. I have a job to do and I don't spend my weekends \
building my own server or bed time reading of IPv6 (anything but computers! You know \
what I mean) so better documentation (along the lines of the new Tutorial and docs) \
is better for me, better for my employer, and better for those coming to Tapestry for \
the first time.

Paul, if the user base increased to such an extent that there were scores of emails \
per day then I think we should look again at a forum. Until then I think it's not \
worth exploring.

c.