List:       tapestry-user
Subject:    Re: Tapestry and CMS
From:       Erik Hatcher <erik () ehatchersolutions ! com>
Date:       2004-10-31 9:33:27

On Oct 29, 2004, at 10:21 AM, David Ezzio wrote:
> I'm wondering what the state of the art is and what it could/should be
> vis-a-vis integrating Tapestry with content management?

The state of the art in CMS is extremely diverse.  What a "CMS" is
different for each person.  I've worked at companies where they told me
they had a "CMS" when it was simply a website backed by a database, and
I've worked for a company that built an true enterprise scale CMS that
powered newspaper sites and many other business sites.

>  As I understand it, what Tapestry offers nothing special in the area
> of content management: the developer has to roll his own.

Tapestry does offer some things that other frameworks don't quite have
- clean templating, which can be served from any source you like to
plug in (templates versioned and staged in a CMS, for example).  It
also offers I18N/L10N at many levels, including assets, templates, and
of course messages.

The contortions that folks go to with the open-source Java CMSs is
extraordinary.  I won't name names, but some put JSP files into a
database to version the templates and allow them to be real content.
When a template is published, the JSP is written to the filesystem in
the appropriate spot for the container to recompile.

> What content management software/frameworks does Tapestry integrate
> well  with today?  Are there future plans in this direction?
> Thoughts?

I personally think Tapestry is a great solution as the web presentation
layer of a CMS.  There are some features that would make it nicer, such
as built-in capability for off-line rendering (yes it can be hacked,
but having it built-in would be cleaner).  It would also be nice if
components could be created on the fly (specification, I mean) much
easier, and used dynamically more easily.

I don't know of any CMS systems that currently use Tapestry, nor do I
know of any plans for them to do so.  However, I did present Tapestry
at the Open Source Content Management conference a month ago -
http://www.oscom.org/events/oscom4/program/ - and many of the
open-source Java CMS developers were there.  This is a space of great
interest to me, but not an area that I'm actively developing.

	Erik