List:       tails-dev
Subject:    Re: [Tails-dev] SecureDrop and Tails vs Qubes
From:       sajolida <sajolida () pimienta ! org>
Date:       2017-12-16 18:51:00

Loic Dachary:
> > > * Adding a software distribution channel to a Qubes workstation is
> > > easy while creating and distributing tails derivatives is
> > > challenging and discouraged
> >
> > I agree with "challenging". I partly disagree with "discouraged".
>
> I meant to say I was discouraged by https://tails.boum.org/contribute/derivatives/ \
> not that tail discourages it, sorry about that. My hunch is that it would take me \
> at least three months full time to come up with a derivative addressing all \
> problems (i.e. security releases, quality assurance process, automatic upgrades, \
> ...). And most likely another three months before recommending that someone uses it \
> for real. This is taking into account that I have experience with packaging, Q/A \
> automated or manual and release management.
> How far am I from reality ?

Not far at all :) I fully understand what you're reporting here!

"Discourage" has different meanings and I disagree with it meaning:

"3. To try to prevent by expressing disapproval or raising objections"

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/discourage

Which is a common meaning in free software communities. But it's not our
intention at Tails and that's why we published these guidelines.

They would be though to implement but we would highly encourage this!