List:       tails-dev
Subject:    Re: [Tails-dev] contributing to tails
From:       intrigeri <intrigeri () boum ! org>
Date:       2017-12-01 9:14:05

Hi Eric!

Eric Davis:
> Hello tails developer, i am trying to modify a tails iso image

Excellent, welcome :)  I encourage you to subscribe to this mailing list.

> to create
> and test ideas i have to make tails work better by adding a few packages .
> I am in need of help with using vagrant to create a base box

Please follow https://tails.boum.org/contribute/build/ and tell us
exactly what you need help with.

> and also add
> additional packeges; one of which is gnome boxes. How would i add that
> package to the image file?

HACKING.mdwn (at the root of our Git tree reads):

  ## config/chroot_local-packageslists/tails-common.list

  The primary list of packages to install in Tails. Sometimes extra
  magic has to be done when installing a package, and then we install it
  with a build-time hook (see `config/chroot_local-hooks/` below). If
  the package is to be installed from another source than Debian Stable,
  make sure to add a pinning rule (see `config/chroot_apt/preferences`
  above).

Now, if the VMs you'll be running inside Tails with GNOME Boxes need
network access, most likely you will need to reason about how exactly
it should work (Torified or not? if yes, how?) and the implementation
may be non-trivial. And in any case, you'll want to ensure libvirt
does not mess up with our firewall rules.

Cheers,
--
intrigeri