List:       tails-dev
Subject:    Re: [Tails-dev] Unique Hardware Information
From:       intrigeri <intrigeri () boum ! org>
Date:       2015-05-30 8:25:47

Hi,

[please don't Cc me, I read the list.]

temp238353@ruggedinbox.com wrote (29 May 2015 17:34:44 GMT) :
> If someone can get an shell on Tails, they can get a lot of hardware information
> without root. Dmesg is stopped, but any user can run 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' 'lsusb' and
> 'lspci', which makes it easier to identify the user.

That's right.

> Someone can use something like a Firefox exploit on the unsafe
> browser to get a shell.

Indeed, even our minimal AppArmor confining of some applications
doesn't try very hard to block access to such information.

> Is there a way to stop regular users from getting this info?

I'm afraid this can't be really fixed without switching to
a Whonix/Qubes design. This is one of the possible major goals we
might decide to go for in 2016-2018, but it's not been decided yet.

Cheers,
--
intrigeri