List:       tails-dev
Subject:    [Tails-dev] Symmetric OpenPGP encryption and removing FireGPG -	middle term, UI
From:       alan () boum ! org (alan at boum ! org)
Date:       2011-12-05 21:19:19

Hi,

> From: intrigeri <intrigeri at boum.org>
> Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 23:49:01 +0100
>
> Hi,

[...]
> The home-grown applet now features:
>
>   - symmetrically *encrypt* clipboard content
>   - *decrypt* clipboard content (regardless of the kind of OpenPGP
>     encryption)
>   - status icon and action menu change depending on the content of the
>     clipboard(s), the same way as the Seahorse applet does

Nice.

> Missing features wrt. the Seahorse + FireGPG combo:
>
>   - asymmetric (i.e. public key) encryption
>   - signature verification
>   - import key (covered by other parts of the Seahorse UI, though)
>
> I tend to think the current state of things is good enough to be
> shipped in Tails. I hope the vast majority of asymmetric OpenPGP users
> could/should use a MUA rather than FireGPG / Seahorse applet.
> I'd rather keep this home-grown applet simple and stupid, and not dive
> into the mess that is "presenting possible encryption keys and
> deciding which one should be the preferred one for a given recipient".

I already used asymetric encryption inside webmail in Tails, but I'm
probably not acting as the majority of Tails users? So if such a
functionnality already existed, I would like that we ship it, but it's
probably not worth writing it.

> On the other hand, I'm a bit more doubtful about verifying the
> clipboard content. If there's enough push in favor of it, I'll add it.

On the other hand, I would push in favor of including verification
feature.

Cheers,

Alan