List:       taglibs-user
Subject:    Re: log taglib - setting location of log
From:       "James Strachan" <james_strachan () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-06-26 18:52:28

Hi John

From: "Davidson, John" <DavidsonJW@logica.com>
> I've downloaded the log taglib and I'd like to change where I save the
> logging info to (at present it's {TOMCAT_HOME}/bin/example.log
>
> How the heck do I do it??  It's driving me mad!

I've just made the following changes to the log tags:-

* The log tags now do not initialise log4j themselves. You can do this
yourself using your own mechanism, via a log4j Servlet or by putting a
log4j.properties file in WEB-INF/classes. I use the latter approach in the
example web app as I find it easier.
* Optimised the tags so that the body is not evaluated if log4j has the
logging category or priority disabled.

* Added new <log:fatal> tag for support for the FATAL level of log4j logging

The first change is the most relevant. If you take a look at the latest
example web application, you'll see it puts a log4j.properties file in the
WEB-INF/classes. You can do the same and edit this file to write to whatever
file destination you wish.

James