List:       taglibs-user
Subject:    Is it possible to restart webapp upon JspException ?
From:       "smallufo" <smallufo () bigfoot ! com>
Date:       2002-12-25 12:45:45

Hi ,

I have a serious problem with Resin 2.1.6 + Linux (RH 7.3) + JSTL with Jakarta \
Taglibs 1.0.2 implementation.

Sometimes , the server load too high (or some strange reason that I cannot make \
sure), and one strange JSP error will occure :

[2002/12/25 19:35:37] _jsp._SomePage__jsp: init
[2002/12/25 19:36:42] null
javax.servlet.jsp.JspException
        at org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.core.ImportSupport.acquireString(ImportSupport.java:324) \

        at org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.core.ImportSupport.doEndTag(ImportSupport.java:179)
  at _jsp._ViewItemPage__jsp._jspService(_ViewItemPage__jsp.java:86)
        at com.caucho.jsp.JavaPage.service(JavaPage.java:75)
        at com.caucho.jsp.Page.subservice(Page.java:497)
        at com.caucho.server.http.FilterChainPage.doFilter(FilterChainPage.java:182)
        at com.caucho.server.http.Invocation.service(Invocation.java:312)
        at com.caucho.server.http.CacheInvocation.service(CacheInvocation.java:135)
        at com.caucho.server.http.RunnerRequest.handleRequest(RunnerRequest.java:342)
        at com.caucho.server.http.RunnerRequest.handleConnection(RunnerRequest.java:272)
  at com.caucho.server.TcpConnection.run(TcpConnection.java:137)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

The error cannot be automatically recovered in time !!! Even after I add <jsp \
recompile-on-error='true'/>  in my web.xml , it will still throw error and recompile \
the page and throw this JspException again and again....All I can do is manually \
restart the webapp......

I don't know what reason cause this JspException , I checked the code very carefully \
and I am sure there is no null object/reference in my page and beans. It seems the \
error occurrs when the server load goes very high . But not every high load time will \
cause the JspException . It maybe the Jakarta JSTL implementation problem.

Anyway , I cannot stay beside the website terminal and watch the load forever. I \
wonder is it possible to make resin automatically restart the webapp upon the \
JspException ?

Strange error , I thought my server is good enough (P4-2G , 1GB RAM) , but sometimes \
Resin still eats up all my memory and throws OutOfMemory Exception.......

(Sorry , I also CC to Jakarta taglibs maillist , because I think this problem seems \
related to Jakarta taglibs implementation.....)