List:       taglibs-user
Subject:    Re: What sucks about c:import!
From:       peter lin <peter.lin () labs ! gte ! com>
Date:       2002-08-21 15:36:59

I'm not sure where it should reside to be honest. I can see argument for
both sides. If I wanted to access data that resides on an IIS machine
that has challenge/response turned on, it would be good to have
cookie/auth support in jstl <c:import> but one could easily argue it
should be in a bean to provide more advanced capabilities like caching
or other RPC protocols.

For an enterprise solution with high loads, it might make more sense to
create a custom solution, but I've seen situations where data comes from
third parties. Trying to get data providers to build a custom RPC
mechanism often is more trouble than it's worth, so a simple <c:import>
mechanism that supports cookies & authentication would be a simpler
solution.

I'm glad the decision isn't up to me because either way you go, some one
is going to complain.

peter