List:       taglib-devel
Subject:    Re: Can TagLib2.0 require C++11 or Boost?
From:       Scott Wheeler <wheeler () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-11-18 13:54:54

On Nov 18, 2013, at 2:19 PM, Stephen F. Booth <me@sbooth.org> wrote:

> [=85] I think it would be worth investigating whether replacing List, Map=
, RefCounter, etc. with their std:: counterparts would be worthwhile.

The choice not to use the STL at the time when creating TagLib was quite in=
tentional.

In general I=92m not a fan of using STL classes in public APIs for much the=
 same reason that Qt doesn=92t =97 it presents an externally inconsistent A=
PI.

In the larger C++ world STL / Boost are one school of API design and Qt (an=
d KDE, by extension) are the other.  TagLib falls squarely into the later c=
amp and as such has typically had a rule that STL classes could only appear=
 in the API as export and import functions.

If, for example, it were allowed to have TagLib::String inherit from std::s=
tring then there=92d an object with some mix_of_underscores and camelCase f=
or its method signatures, which is bleh.

-Scott