List:       taglib-devel
Subject:    Re: static v dynamic linking for proprietary apps
From:       Scott Wheeler <wheeler () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-06-01 4:03:49

On Jun 1, 2011, at 4:58 AM, Glenn McCord wrote:

> There's been discussion about the office about whether or not we can
> (legally) statically link taglib into our proprietary application. The
> LGPL seems to imply that we'd have to dynamically link, but the MPL
> seems to imply that we can statically link.

You may statically link to TagLib in closed source projects -- and in fact that was \
the specific reason for switching from LGPL alone to LGPL / MPL.

> We're thinking we'd need to:
> - Make mention of using taglib in the manual
> - Mention taglib in the EULA

Yes, sounds about right.

> - We're not sure if we need to provide download links from our
> downloads page, considering we're not going to modify the source.

If the source code is unmodified you don't have to distribute it, and if it is \
modified the distribution requirements can effectively be met by sending a patch to \
this mailing list or putting it in the bug tracker.

-Scott