List:       taglib-devel
Subject:    Comparing the results of id3tag to the results of taglib
From:       "Xavier Duret" <xavier.duret () caramail ! com>
Date:       2007-01-09 16:12:23

As part of my evaluation of taglib, I have been comparing the output of t=
aglib against the output of id3tag. I put my hand on a huge database of m=
usic files in the most sorry state you can imagine. This database contain=
ed 15722 files (mp3 and ogg vorbis mixed). I ran first an unmodified vers=
ion of Firefly (based on id3tag) and then a version of Firefly that I mod=
ified to use taglib. Each run gave me a sqlite3 database from which I gen=
erated a plain text file.

taglib imported 15721 files in 380 seconds. id3tag imported 15718 files i=
n 432 seconds. So from the point of view of speed, the advantage is for t=
aglib. I also do not blame id3tag for leaving 3 files out because as I sa=
y the test database is really junk.

Also when looking at the actual differences in the metadata, I comes out =
that taglib is much better at extracting the information from the files (=
in particular track number, album name and genre).

I also compared the song duration. Because taglib only has an accuracy of=
 1 second, I rounded the results from id3tag to the same accuracy. Most f=
iles had the same duration. Taglib rounded an important number of files o=
ne second too low. Up to now, it is not a big deal.

However, I have found at least one track for which id3tag reports 3:02.23=
0 minutes while taglib (1.4) reports 2:26 minutes. This is a significant =
difference. So to know which library is right, I played the track and fou=
nd out that taglib is wrong. I also tried the latest (svn 621706) and in =
this case neither the bitrate nor the song duration got extracted.

I will work on making the comparison of the 2 libraries easier.

Gagnez tous les jours un iPod nano. Inscrivez-vous au courriel gratuit Ca=
raMail. Et b=E9n=E9ficiez de 10 SMS gratuits ! Cliquez ici pour gagner : =
http://promotion.lycos.fr/