List:       taglib-devel
Subject:    Some notes about migrating Firefly Media Server to taglib
From:       "Xavier Duret" <xavier.duret () caramail ! com>
Date:       2007-01-05 12:33:49

Hello,

I have been migrating the Firefly Media Server ("http://www.fireflymedias=
erver.org/") to taglib. It was very easy to do because of the simplicity =
of the taglib API and the fact that taglib was already used to parse Muse=
pack files. I would like to share some remarks and a couple of requests t=
o the list. Please note that I do not represent the Firefly Media Server =
project. I am just going to do the integration out of the official tree t=
hen check whether it is good enough by throwing at it a huge database of =
audio files. If everything works fine then I will propose the changes to =
Ron Pedde for milestone 1.1.

I have read in the mailing list that Scott Wheeler was quite upset by the=
 switch to cmake. I would like to point out that cmake is not a good thin=
g for embedded software because it does not support cross-compiling. So w=
hile I think cmake is very nice, it would be better if fundamental librai=
ries like libtag stay away from it for now.

The official Firefly supports the following type of files: m4a, aif, flac=
, mp3, mpc, ogg vorbis, wav and wma. I used taglib with the patch for aac=
 read support (is it from Brian Nickel or from Jochen Issing?) located th=
ere: "http://www.isign-softart.de/download/taglib-1.4_with_itunes.tar.bz2=
". This patched version is quite good but the extraction of the genre doe=
s not work and the C bindings do not reflect support for m4a. I also trie=
d the version in the trunk of Amarok but did not get better result. This =
is weird because the version of Amarok I use on my PC does not have this =
problem. Can anyone point me to where the development of the aac support =
for taglib is located? Also the people working on it can have a look at "=
http://trac.fireflymediaserver.org/browser/trunk/src/scan-aac.c" which im=
plements the same functionality.

I also have the following 2 requests to extend the API:
- Could detection of protected files be added to the API? The C binding w=
ould return a simple boolean.
- Could "stremability" of files be added to the API? This is particularly=
 useful for M4A files but I can imagine that other files can have this pr=
oblem. Sometimes the  metadata is not located at the beginning of the fil=
e. Hardware players do not support them so it would be a good thing to av=
oid lock ups (Roku Soundbridge M1000 comes to mind).  The solution is to =
run "mp4creator -optimize" on the file but I do not expect the average us=
er to know that.

Gagnez tous les jours un iPod nano. Inscrivez-vous au courriel gratuit Ca=
raMail. Et b=E9n=E9ficiez de 10 SMS gratuits ! Cliquez ici pour gagner : =
http://promotion.lycos.fr/