List:       systemd-devel
Subject:    [systemd-devel] Splitting sd-boot from systemd/bootctl for enabling sd-boot in Fedora
From:       Andrea Pappacoda <andrea () pappacoda ! it>
Date:       2022-04-30 12:54:27

Il giorno sab 30 apr 2022 alle 12:00:01 +00:00:00,
systemd-devel-request@lists.freedesktop.org ha scritto:
> Distributions most certainly can become efi only if they chose to do
> so, there nothing technical that stands in that way.

Debian still supports systems that are not compatible with UEFI, so
yes, there's something technical that stands in the way.

>> If current bootloader already works on platforms supported by
>> distribution, what is gained by adding yet another one?
> Freedom of choice

There's nothing preventing you from using systemd-boot on Debian, and
in fact I do. It would be nice to have secure boot working out of the
box, but unfortunately this isn't currently possible.

By the way, thanks for this amazing thread! As a kid born after the
2000s, I've never thought that mailing lists could be this awesome :D