List:       systemd-devel
Subject:    [systemd-devel] =?utf-8?b?QW50dzogUmU6ICBBbnR3OiBbRVhUXSBSZTog?= =?utf-8?q?=5Bsystemd=E2=80=91devel=
From:       "Ulrich Windl" <Ulrich.Windl () rz ! uni-regensburg ! de>
Date:       2022-04-29 6:05:01

> > > Ian Pilcher <arequipeno@gmail.com> schrieb am 28.04.2022 um 16:40 in Nachricht
<t4e91m$nb2$1@ciao.gmane.io>:
> On 4/28/22 05:30, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> > So are there any distros that have /etc/fstab in initrd?
> > Having to start mount units manually is just terrible when a simple "mount
> > /var" would do.
>
> Putting /etc/fstab in the initrd would mean that it would need to be
> rebuilt every time that file (or a plugin in /etc/fstab.d, or a mount
> unit) changed.

The environments I have here have fstabs that don't change for years, while kernel \
updates happen monthly at least. Even more important, it's not necessary that the \
fstab in initrd is always up to date; it only needs the entries for the base OS \
(sometimes called the TCB). Once you have the environment that allows a "mkinitrd" \
consistently you can fix all the other problems.

Regards,
Ulrich Windl