List:       systemd-devel
Subject:    Re: [systemd-devel] Xorg or Wayland Environment
From:       Colin Guthrie <gmane () colin ! guthr ! ie>
Date:       2021-09-21 10:20:25

Ed Greshko wrote on 19/09/2021 12:11:
> OK......
>
> I think I see the problem now.  I don't need Environment=.  But the
> issue is that, I assumed, "plasma-core.target" would be
> reached only after a user logged in to plasma.
>
> I was wrong and the user's service is run earlier when the login screen
> appears.

I'm slightly confused by the logic here. Why is a user's systemd even
running before they've logged in? If the user has lingering enabled,
then it might have a systemd instance from that, but it certainly
shouldn't reach any plasma-core.target as the login GUI should be
running as a different user to your user I would have thought?

e.g. under gnome, the login GUI runs as the "gdm" user. That user has a
systemd --user instance, and runs various things but only once a real
user has logged in will it's own systemd instance start and reach the
appropriate targets.

> I need to find a way such that the service only runs when a user logs on
> to the plasma GUI.

It seems a bit odd to me that your users' plasma-core.target has been
run when your user hasn't even logged in yet. I think something is odd
there, possible combined with user lingering and perhaps plasma-core
being the default target for your user when it shouldn't be...

Hope this helps you debug things.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie