List:       systemd-devel
Subject:    Re: [systemd-devel] system-wide MemoryMax - possible?
From:       Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo () wpkg ! org>
Date:       2019-03-18 10:58:05

On 2019-03-18 18:59, Lennart Poettering wrote:

>> I.e. a desktop system where user opens several browsers, with too many
>> tabs
>> with too many memory-intensive pages - becomes unresponsive for long
>> minutes, before OOM-killer finally kills the offender.
>
> Quite frankly, this sounds like somehting where you want to tweak the
> OOM killer, instead of making memory even scarcer...

Indeed.

However - there aren't really too many tunables for OOM killer, and
playing with /proc/$PID/oom_adj in a dynamic environment requires
something like the mentioned oomd.

Or in other words: given that a system has X MB memory, please configure
it so that all non-root userspace processes can't use more than X - Y MB
(where Y MB is memory left to root processes). As this seems to be the
only way for a Linux system not to freeze for some time if some
userspace misbehaves and wants to consume too much memory.

Tomasz Chmielewski