List:       system-config-printer-devel
Subject:    Suggestions For User Interface?
From:       quintin.vanrooyen () gmail ! com (Quintin van Rooyen)
Date:       2010-07-02 18:17:57

On 2 July 2010 14:01, Tim Waugh <twaugh at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 10:07 +0200, Quintin van Rooyen wrote:
> > First, would it not make more sense to leave the "Show printers shared
> > by other systems" button ticked by default? Either that or when
> > someone is searching for a CUPS printer have that option be presented
> > there to him.
>
> Well, this is more to do with the default configuration of CUPS.  Not
> sure which distribution you are using -- I think most use the upstream
> default, which is to show printers shared by other systems (i.e.
> Browsing On).
>
> Ah. Ubuntu has this set to OFF. Gentoo if you install the CUPS gui it is
set to ON. No worries on this then.

> > Second, the excellent help dialog - on the server settings screen
> > labeled "Problems", it might be great to have that be visible either
> > on the main printer setup screen, or even display when you click add a
> > new printer on the "Select Device" screen, or all three.
>
> Visible how?  Really it's only something you need to see if you are
> already experiencing problems with printing.

I had problems detecting a CUPS printer the other day (with the show
printers set to OFF of course) and it took a bit of hunting to get to the
point where you set it to ON.

Having the help dialog or the settings more to the "front" of the app - I am
unsure how to explain this better, would have made it a bit easier. Having
the help or "Problems?" button more to the front would have made things a
lot easier.

> > Finally, what do you guys use to build that interface?
>
> It's designed using glade-3 for the most part, but with some parts
> constructed at run-time programmatically.
>
> Tim.
> */
>
> Thanks and regards!

Quintin van Rooyen